Sunday, July 26, 2020

Deathstalker 1 & 2; Barbarian Queen; The Warrior and the Sorceress


I'm a big Roger Corman fan, mostly due to seeing Death Race. The doing more with less, in a time of real effects instead of CGI, appeals to me. I also enjoy seeing the young actors that turned into stars and looking up the ones that maybe didn't become big famous Hollywood actors, but took other interesting life paths. So, I ended up stumbling upon this 4 movie collection, containing Deathstalker 1 & 2, Barbarian Queen, and The Warrior and the Sorceress. I should mention, I watched all of these basically back to back, but had trouble getting through the last one, so it's still paused part way through in my DVD player.

Deathstalker I

First, the cover art is fantastic. I think it's Boris, which just brings me back to my middle school days when I had a pack of Boris art cards and was blown away. It's not quite Frazetta, but ok I'll take it.... an apt analogy for this collection.

I read that Corman wanted to capitalize on the success of Schwarzenegger's Conan, so went ahead with Deathstalker. Good enough. The actor isn't quite Schwarzenegger in beefiness, but he's buff and a pretty decent fit for the role. I mean, if I was doing a Conanesk movie and had this guy (Rick Hill), I'd feel really, really good about it. 

The sheer quantity of  scenes with topless women in this movie (and all these movies) would be the elephant in the room if I didn't bring it up. It's kinda funny because if it wasn't for that aspect, the movies would pretty much be fit for 12 year olds to watch. Instead, they're adult movies. It really is to a silly extent that these scenes are in Deathstalker, which is something I'm personally fine with, but definitely worth knowing before sitting down to watch it

Much of the movie is a little too not grimy enough, like how'd they manage to not get dirty in this fantasy world dust shanty town? Or, how'd they get dirt everywhere except on their clean shaven faces? Not a big deal, really, but the cheap sets are what make the movie feel low budget and not in the same league as Conan. Yes, in this case I'd say that's somehow more important than the script, acting, and score. Usually I'd argue for script. But I'm convinced that if you made Conan with the Deathstalker script, you'd still have Conan. 

The plot wasn't that memorable for Deathstalker, but maybe that's the point. He's got a sword that makes him invincible when he's holding it so the bad guys are usually afraid of him, get their butts kicked, and try to catch him without the sword or finagle it away from him somehow. The big bad sorcerer (inspirado for the bad guy in Krod Mandoon??) isn't too impressive without his henchmen, but whatever. There are some women Deathstalker must save with his sexual prowess and muscles, and he does so effectively. 


Deathstalker II

Deathstalker is played by a different actor in this one, a guy who's not nearly as muscled or stoic. It's a different kind of movie, much more silly and funny on purpose in a Deathstalker-ey kind of way. Honestly, it feels like a parody of the first movie. 

In this one, Deathstalker cares way less about his sword and it doesn't even seem to be as important towards keeping him alive. Maybe nobody cared. The movie is still fairly entertaining, it just doesn't feel like a sequel to all that is Deathstalker. 

And the twin stuff that happens is super weird. Seems like that was just a way to get Monique Gabrielle a few extra costume changes. 

And some of the sword fights in this one seem a bit better. 


Barbarian Queen

A bunch of good friends get together to go kick some asses. They just happen to be barbarians and they just happen to be sexy ladies. There's some wimpy torture and a few very creepy dudes for them to murder. I mean, is this movie supposed to have more going on than this? 5 stars. 


The Warrior and the Sorceress

Dust, dust, and more dust, and David Carradine never had muscles like he does on the cover of this one. Those are the big takeaways from The Warrior and the Sorceress. A few warriors are on their way to a tournament and become buds, then find out some weak people need their help and that the tournament is run by some evil dude suppressing them. So everybody uses the magic of teamwork and David Carradine gets a big sword, then there's a fight and the movie ends. I mean, it just ends. The movie is very short. So short that it seems too short and maybe they ran out of money or time, or something. But it's good while it lasts. 

Found out I only had about 5 min left when I thought I was only half way through. 🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment